We are seeking qualified and passionate individuals for our After School Enrichment Instructor position. You will provide direct hands-on teaching of The Village Method curriculum and facilitation of youth-led service projects in an after school setting. Your role is to be a rock star with our young scholars, change lives, and impact our local communities. You are the face, feeling and voice of TVM Programming.
Our After School Enrichment Team Members are the front line, face and feeling of The Village Method. You're the leader of activities in the after school space, uplifting the spirits of our scholars, providing the absolute best "customer service" and ensuring that everyone feels welcome, safe and affirmed in your space. If that sounds like you...then, let's get to know one another.
Our afternoon program takes place on the public school campus and has four main components:
TVM initially engages students during the transition from elementary school to middle school to introduce them to our programs. Once enrolled in TVM’s program, students attend TVM’s twice weekly, up to two hour after school program in their schools. Through an Afro-centric lens, we aim to provide exposure to the arts and STEM while encouraging leadership and engagement of both students and family.
- “Harambee” time: Swahili for “all pull together” this is when everyone comes together in a physical activity or artistic movement;
- Homework Support and Check-in: we provide time for the students to work on their studies and have one-on-one check-ins with the scholars about their lives beyond academics;
- Daily Healthy Snack: we have found that students are happier, healthier and better prepared to take on homework and the rest of the day when their bodies are well-nourished;
- Cultural Enrichment: Students study Afro-centric history with topics such as the Harlem Renaissance and the Great Migration. Throughout the year TVM brings artists such as muralists, dancers, musicians, and painters into the classroom. Students also take field trips to cultural events and museums as well as tours at companies such Google, Electronic Arts, Nasa Ames, and more. Students find inspiration in seeing people from their community at top positions at top organizations.
Focus: Facilitating weekly sessions for a school year, youth program in community service/leadership for 2nd to 6th graders and/or middle schoolers, in an after-school setting.
What does the After School Enrichment Instructor Role entail?
- Attend initial training meeting prior to program implementation
- Serve as the primary point person for TVM programming after school
- Confirm availability in coordination with after school program
- Implement weekly meetings 90-minutes each week throughout the school year
- Share program updates and service plans with TVM team members
- We estimate the total time each week to be approximately 10-15 hours for the After School Site Leader, which includes prep time and the service project
How does The Village Method Support After School Enrichment Instructor?
- Provide all supplies and materials necessary to implement the program
- Provide curriculum and training to administer
- Provides performance feedback
- Provide free access to local training and professional development
- In-person visits during implementation
- Weekly email and text check-ins
- Competitive salary and benefits package with perks
This is a part-time, hourly position, generally from August - May each year, with compensation set between $20-25/hr, depending on experience.
Schedule: Weekly, 1-3 weekdays, for 2-3 hours between 2:30pm-6pm, and between August 2022 to May 2023.
Start date: August 1, 2022
- Full commitment to facilitate weekly sessions, as scheduled with the partner school
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Must have at least 30 semester units completed from an accredited college
- Clearance of TB test, background (fingerprint) check, and full FDA Approved Covid-19 Vaccination
- Reliable transportation
- High level of cultural competency
- Experience working with youth
The Village Method is a community-based grassroots organization with a mission dedicated to making youth unstoppable. Our goal is to operate as a conduit building capacity for social change and the advancement of Black youth, families, and community-based organizations working together to develop sustainable academic and cultural pipelines from elementary to college, from college to career, and back to their community. We do this by offering tuition-free, culturally responsive Youth Development, Family Engagement, and Community Outreach programming in the SF Bay Area.
If you have any questions, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Anti-discrimination policy + Commitment to Diversity
The Village Method is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse staff and inclusive environment. We especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply for this role.
In compliance with applicable laws, The Village Method does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, and/or being differently abled.